Friday, September 30, 2011

[RP] The SAT


Have you ever thought about the SAT. Like, REALLY thought about it? In my opinion, I find it quite stupid. And not just because I’m the one who has to take it, but because I feel like it really doesn’t test anything about how smart you are. The SAT is a bit like a mind game, and reading into what the greatest possibility for an answer could be. The directions specify to look for the “best” answer, because it might not necessarily be the correct perfect answer. One of the “myths” listed on the back of my study prep book says that the SAT does in fact test intelligence and if you take “rigorous school courses” then you will be extremely ready for the SAT. However, I have taken quite a few advanced classes in the past two years and my first set of scores were far from impressive. (Most of the reason for me posting this is that I have to retake the test tomorrow.)

So after a first attempt, I decided that I needed a tutor to help improve my scores. And though it was my tutor’s job and how he made money, he even said that he believed the SAT was a stupid test and would gladly give up his job to make kids have to take the test. I find that to be quite interesting that he felt so passionately that way.

But I’m glad us teenagers aren’t the only ones that think this is a stupid test. I don’t find that it should be required anymore. Many schools took away the necessity of needing two SAT 2 scores, so why can’t they do the same thing with the SAT as well?

1 comment:

  1. Do. Not. Get. Me. Started. These tests, and many others, drive me up the wall.

    Hope the test went well for you today, and that the day will soon come when nobody has to bother with them anymore.

    Are you aware that there are about 800+ colleges (and I think that number is growing) which don't require SAT scores? Some folks in higher ed are figuring out that the scores are a very poor indicator of college success...which is good news for smart people like yourself who get scores that don't look all shiny on the app. Tests test test-taking, which is a skill nobody teaches and is only useful in a few critical moments in life...

    Damn it, you got me started. Now I'm pissed. GRR!

    ReplyDelete