For years, working to help the
environment has been a part of my life. The best example is my mom, who will
carry around a soda can all day until she located a recycling bin. It has
almost become second nature for me to preach environmental conservation,
especially starting with environmental science this year. The simple fact that
the Oakland Zoo in Oakland, California combined that and my love animals was
perfect. Now, I have been volunteering at the Oakland Zoo Camp for 2-3 weeks
each summer for the past four years. Every year, every week I go back, I am
just as fascinated with the facts about animals and figures of environmental
conservation as the kids I help out are. The Zoo and their words on conservation
of not only the environment but the animals as well have heavily inspired me to
want to be a part of that movement someday.
And not only has the zoo taught
me the logistics of conservation, but other places as well. More and more as I
have gotten older, normal family homes, my schools, restaurants, Alameda (my
home town) in general, have adapted environmentally friendly ways of living
with proper recycling and compost. I find this an accomplishment considering
when I travel to different states, the environment concern seems lower than
what I have grown up with.
Although being a teen assistant
at this particular summer camp mostly involved me helping out with younger
children for the benefit of the main teacher, there were still many behind the
scenes activities that I got to participate in. One time that stands out most
amongst the rest was a year ago when I got the privilege of feeding the
giraffes. The Oakland Zoo is very private and does not give basic daily
visitors the chance to pay to do things like this, so the opportunity was
fantastic. The simple interaction between the animals and me really stood out
to me and made me realize that maybe this is something that I might really want
to do.
When I was in Kindergarten, I
was always asked the basic question: “What do you want to be when you grow up,
Anna?” Of course the answer changed every single time. One year, I wanted to be
a doctor, then a nurse, then a singer or an actor. The answer fluxuated so
frequently and nothing seemed to stick. But each year I signed up for the
volunteering in the summer and set foot in the zoo again, it became extremely
evident that working with animals and the conservation of the earth was the one
thing I always came back to wanted to do in the future. I have spent over 300
hours of volunteered time there, and I’m already anxious to return.
What I like about this one is that you have an open-minded attitude about where this passion could take you. I like the last paragraph in particular, with the idea that "nothing seemed to stick" until you got linked up with the giraffes.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of which...what was it like to feed them? You just mention how awesome it was, but then you fluff the payoff and we don't actually hear what happened in the moment of that experience. Feels like a missed opportunity to me.
Also, came across this today and maybe you'll find it interesting:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/oct/02/anthropology-pat-shipman-animals-language