Friday, October 14, 2011

[CE] Famine and Drought in Somalia




I used this video and article for my current events post this week.

I find it startling the difference between areas that are shown at the beginning of the video and what I see when I walk home from school everyday. These people are fighting for food and I sit here and complain about there being “nothing to eat” at my house with a refrigerator full of leftovers, something these Somalians would be overjoyed to have. Everyday, fifteen out of 10,000 children die in the area.

And there are so many other issues besides simply a shortage of food. The location right next to the water is making an impact by the fear of flooding. And this is not just a fear; Waters have randomly risen causing miniature floods that surprise people in their sleep. This water is also heavily infected with diarrhea causing bacteria. One woman’s baby is literally being “hallowed out”, as the video puts it, by the child’s disease. This is her fourth child to be affected by this, and the other three did not survive.

I find these situations to be extremely scary. Too often I see myself taking advantage of all the things I am honestly so blessed to have. These people are fighting for good food and fresh water, of which I have quite easy access too. This famine and drought are really hitting the people hard, and it is important that the world recognizes it in hopes of getting together and helping other people of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment